Friday, October 06, 2006

Mix Challenge #1

A couple of very clever friends of mine emailed me with a challenge I couldn't resist: a mix cd challenge.

If you know me, you know I'm obsessed with making mix cd's for people. I love music, and I love telling people about excellent new music, and the challenge of making the perfect mix for any occasion is one I will always rise to.

But these friends (AaJe and SeMu) proposed something different from the usual exchange of great tunes. There are rules for this challenge.

Rule #1
The titles of every song must must tell a story, when they are read in order. The story must be one everyone is familiar with (ie. Hansel and Gretel, Snow White, etc.).

Rule #2
No maximum or minimum number of tracks - whatever you feel is necessary to properly tell your story.

Rule #3
No fair googling uber obscure (and quite possibly crappy) songs just because they have the perfect title. The songs must be songs you like and will listen to again.

Rule #4
We mail them to each other, and have to guess what stories people were trying to tell.

So, without further ado, I give you my contribution:

1. Parents Just Don't Understand (DJ Jazzy Jeff & the Fresh Prince)
2. Do the Whirlwind (Architecture in Helsinki)
3. When I Fall (Barenaked Ladies)
4. Ruby, My Dear (Thelonius Monk & John Coltrane)
5. Short People (Randy Newman)
6. Dance of the Sugar Plum Fairy (Tchiakovsky)
7. Brain Stew (Green Day)
8. Heartbeats (the Knife)
9. No Bravery (James Blunt)
10. The Flowers (Regina Spektor)
11. Sleep to Dream Her (Dave Matthews Band)
12. Wake Up (the Arcade Fire)
13. Pinball Wizard (the Who)
14. Monkey Baby (Scissor Sisters)
15. the Icicle Melts (the Cranberries)
16. Home Again (the Polyjesters)
17. Somebody Loved (the Weepies)

So, didja guess the story? I guess there might be a giveaway track or two...leave your guesses in the comments! And if you're interested in partaking in the next CD Mix Challenge, send me your address and we'll talk.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

My guess was The Wizard of Oz. Am I anywhere near close?

2:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Of course it's the wizard of oz! as a fellow mixed cd-phile, this is possibly the most brilliant thing i have ever witnessed. brava! BRAVA!!

4:41 PM  
Blogger ers said...

Yup, it's Oz alright. Well guessed! I'm really looking forward to the future challenges - this one was most definitely a warm-up!!

11:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home