Monday, November 20, 2006

one bank...one card

Alright, check this out - remember my post a few days ago about scary corporate America, and the singing Bank of America hoser video?

Apparently Universal Music Publishing Group is suing for copyright infringement (NYT article). Hmmm. I agree that the song is appalling, but to sue for copyright infringement? It's not like the guy was performing to a sold-out stadium, or has in any way made money from this. Neither has he in any way made the original artist look bad or lose money. Yet another example of how effed contemporary copyright laws are.

ANYWAY, the video is still right up there with the Star Wars Kid, in my opinion. Here's a money quote from the NYT article:

Mr. Chandler also denied any involvement in leaking the video, although he admitted that, despite the cutting online criticism, the incident had an upside. “A lot of people thought it was fake, but I really do sing,” he said. “I’ve been doing this a long time.”

I guess we shouldn't be surprised at further confirmation of his delusion.

Check out also, WFMU's comparison of the two sets of lyrics. (Yup - they're just as bad as you thought the first time you listened.)

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't believe they're suing - if anything, aren't they making money off this thing? They certainly are off me - after laughing until the tears flowed, I went online and bought the original "One". Because I'm the only person in the Western Hemisphere who didn't have it already.

10:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home