Sunday, November 19, 2006

holiday toonage

So, there's a crazy lady in my office. You know the one - she makes us sing happy birthday, organizes a 'fridge cleanout' team the friday before every long weekend, dresses like she's in that movie with Melanie Griffith where she pretends to be a big office lady, tsks every time someone swears, never quite got the hang of technology - I suspect there's one in every office.

ANYWAY, she's decided to "put a team together" to organize our office holiday party. Side note - I organized the office party last year. By myself. It probably took an hour of my time, all told (room booked at local pub - check, drink tickets ready to pass out - check, pass out secret santa assignments - check, spend the rest of the budget on food - check), but from what I hear, this year's "team" is meeting weekly - and discussing things like decorating schemes and theme drinks, all under the crazy lady's supervision.

Luckily because I organized last year, I escaped being coerced into this year's planning spree. But I didn't escape entirely unscathed - I am apparently responsible for providing the festive music for this occasion.

Now, of all the jobs I COULD have recieved, I don't really mind this one. I do love me a good mix tape, as you all know, and this is really just an expanded version of this. But then I started to worry a bit. I didn't grow up celebrating xmas - what if I miss some key songs, and I ruin the party for everyone?!

So I've decided to open it up to you guys - what are the must-haves on this playlist? Any little-known classics that I should know about?
(Yes, if the crazy lady had her way, we would all dress like the carollers above, whom the internet tell me are a group of people called "Christmas Matters". It MATTERS, people! heh.)

7 Comments:

Blogger mynameiskate said...

First of all, you MUST dress like the carolers in the pic. That will totally rock the party.

Second, for my money, you can't beat the "God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen" mix. This month I had a real lack of imagination on using up my monthly track download from eMusic and it was getting down to the wire, so I searched for "God Rest Ye Merry Gentleman" tracks (GRYMG is my fav xmas carol, particularly the Barenaked Ladies/Sarah McLachlin version). I got about 20 different versions - from techno to fiddle to bluegrass to harp. I can't WAIT to spring it on the fam' on Christmas eve.

10:45 AM  
Blogger ers said...

Ha - Kate, you're right. There is room for me to be entirely diabolical with this playlist, isn't it. Hmmm...if I come across any must-have GRYMG versions, I know who to send 'em to!!

11:22 AM  
Blogger Lottie said...

Aw gee. Sometimes I miss the golly-gee-willikers attitude of that crazy old dame. Hah.
My recommendation: "Last Christmas," WHAM! Try and find the instrumental + b/g vox extended version. I know it's out there.

2:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ers - of course it MATTERS! How else will I get my fill of cheesy music, cookie baking and have my annual Festival of Lights parade in Kensington... I mean really. You people.

Some of my favourites: Good King Wenchlessness (sp!), Santa Baby (Eartha Kit not madonna), I ain't getting nothing for xmas cuz I ain't been nothing but bad (perhaps just a family fav.), Kermit's One More Sleep 'til Xmas, Dreidle-dreidle-dreidle, let it snow, it came upon a midnight clear, winter wonderland, the holly and the ivy, please come home for Xmas.

and my new favourite: A Christmas Without Weed - Shawn Colvin. I have some more like this one, but I can't find the CD right now.

Hope this helps!
p.s. word to the wise, double check that "responsible for providing the festive music" isn't crazy-lady-speak for pulling together song sheets!

3:28 PM  
Blogger ers said...

WHAM!, Kermit, Holly and the Ivy, Shawn Colvin (Lex, have you been hanging out with roro?) - you guys are awesome! This playlist is going to rock. Thanks for the suggestions!

7:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Of course, we'll all want copies of the final list. AND song sheets.
[hey, when are we going for Boursin?]

9:11 AM  
Blogger ers said...

mmmm....boursin....

How about soon? Umm...I think by "soon", I mean "January". Somehow I've lost the past three weekends, and December isn't looking any better. Trust me, though, it is ON my list of must-do's.

6:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home